The Castle Of Liechtenstein

Ancestral castle of the princes of Liechtenstein

Hugo of Liechtenstein built the castle between 1130 and 1135 which came to be in possession of the Stadeck family by 1295 by use of a marriage contract.

The castle often changed hands between different royal families like the dukes of Cilli and king Matthias Corvinius which granted Jan (Hans) Holuberzi the upkeep. The houses of Khevenhiller and Aichelberg owned the castle since 1592 including prince Johann Josef the 1st of Liechtenstein, who acquired the castle from prince Poniantovsky and returned the ownership of the houses of Liechtenstein in 1807, which is still currant.


Monument of romanic architecture

Major parts of the romanic castle, originating from the first building phase circa 1130/1135, are still surviving and able to be visited. With this romanic settlement the castle today counts as one of the rare romanic surviving secular buildings of the 12th century in Europe.

From 1508 to 1588 the castle was occupied by the tyrolian house of Freisleben. In 1529 the castle was initially destroyed by the Osmanians and was rebuilt from 1533 – this lead to the loss and sale oft he ownership of the castle in 1567.

The castle and ownership came into the possession of the duke of Khevenhiller between 1592 an 1664 during which the castle was extensively extended under the duke Franz Christoph Khevenhiller, Baron to Aichelberg. In 1664 his family tree was drawn up in which the background consisted of a rendation oft he castle of Liechtenstein.

Alas, the castle was once again largely destroyed by the Osmanians in 1683 which rended the castle almost completely uninhabitable. The gothic entrance was alotted to the use of stables until being raised to the ground in 1809.

By 1799 the prince of Poniantovsky had already started renovations in the Biedermeier-knight-romantic which were continued by prince Johann Josef the 1st of Liechtenstein. It was only under the prince Johann Josef the 2nd of Liechtenstein that the castle was sensitively brought into its currant state. The copious saved romanic architecture was carefully expanded with artifacts from the princely collection.

The castle still counts as an important monument of the middle ages, as an example of architectural castle building with its proven majestic walls and towers as well as and including the fine ornamentation and is witness of the desire of self representation oft he Liechtenstein princes of the 19th century.

Guided tours every hour on hour.